The Herefordshire Ornithological Club (HOC) established The Birds of Herefordshire Conservation Fund in January 2019 as it's main means of distributing grants for bird conservation activities. It receives donations from Club members, raffle proceeds etc and is dedicated to bird conservation in Herefordshire. Prior to the establishment of the fund, the HOC has awarded two large grants recently to the Herefordshire Wildlife Trust:
- £10,000 for a new hide at Bodenham Lakes as part of the Lugg Wetland Gems project
- £10,000 for the purchase of land on Lower Lugg Meadows to preserve a Curlew nesting habitat
Call for proposals
The Club is now inviting proposals from local organisations or individuals for grants to support bird conservation work in Herefordshire in general and for projects involving the preservation of threatened species or habitats in particular. The Club is particularly interested in supporting young ornithologists, and especially those embarking on a career in ornithological sciences. Post-16 students in full-time education, graduates and post-graduate students wishing to carry out studies within Herefordshire, or with a direct link to the County, who would benefit from funding to supplement their main grant and funding sources will be given priority. It is unlikely that grants to individuals will normally exceed £1,000. Proposals will be judged against the following criteria:
- Will the project help locally threatened species to breed or winter more successfully?
- Will the project’s benefits be sustainable in the longer term?
- Will the grant result in increased benefit to users of the site?
- Project management: Is there a convincing plan for the execution of the project and its subsequent maintenance? What measures are being taken to ensure value for money; for example, how much of the work is to be done by volunteers, have donations “in kind” been obtained?
- How important is the grant to the success of the project (what other funding is available or being sought; what will happen if a Birds of Herefordshire grant is not awarded)?
Proposals, stating the work to be done and the conservation benefits it will provide and addressing the above criteria, should be sent to the HOC Secretary email: email@example.com.
Download an BHCF Application Form.
The HOC Committee will judge applications.